Monday 27 June 2011

Good "morning" Nerdy Bunch it's Monday!

So I don't know what you know about Canadian music. It is entirely possible that your idea of Canadian music is that is all Celine all the time.


NOT TRUE my friends, there is also Nickleback and Avril Lavigne. sigh.
To be fair there are also some big name classic rockers who are from Canada, like The Guess Who and Rush.


Also Neil Young who I am very distantly related to. None of those are really artists I listen to with the exception of the above song which will inexplicably get stuck in my head on a regular basis.

So who do I listen to that's Canadian? Well I listened to the Bare Naked Ladies quite a bit whe I was younger and this song still makes me smile.


I don't love the Arcade Fire like some of my friends do but I think they are worth mentioning. This spring my friend threw a graduation party. When this song came on everyone (minus me and like four other people) came down to her living room and sang along to it. It was actually super creepy.

This song has the tendancy to get stuck in my head whenever I don't want to get up in the morning.



The Wooden Sky are from Toronto and I love the sort of slow folky music the play. I also have a lot of good memories tied up with their album "If I don't come home you'll know I'm gone" so here is a couple of songs by them. I would just post one but I couldn't decide.




This is a little sample of some Canadian music. It is limited to stuff I actually listen to so it's not the most broad sample, I could have hunted down something french, or celtic influenced from the East Coast but let's face it I don't really listen to that stuff and I don't want this blog to become a Mask of Lies.

I'm loving listening to all the diffent music being posted. Misspronounced, hi good to hear from you again *waves*. that is all.




Best Wishes,
Allysa


1 comment:

  1. "NOT TRUE my friends, there is also Nickleback and Avril Lavigne. sigh."
    (...and Justin Bieber xD)

    I'd forgotten Rush were actually good, always get my classic rock bands confused.

    One of my friends just got into BNL... I was mildly obsessed with their music ten years ago, so her just discovering them now is really weird (and makes me feel ancient).

    Arcade Fire is band people keep on recommending to me (and I get why), but I just can't get into it.

    As far as Canadian musicians go, I kind of dig Geoff Berner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoPyBUjVtc) he's not really that great on CD, but his gigs are brilliant (if you don't mind someone pushing your buttons, he might enjoy pissing people off a little too much xD).

    ReplyDelete