Wednesday 3 August 2011

Slap in the face

I say eat the way you want to eat!

I use to eat everything, but for almost 6 years now I haven't eaten pork, at least not consciously. But only because suddenly I can't stand the smell and taste of it anymore. My sister is pescatarian but that doesn't mean she's healthier than everyone else.

As to being healthy, I think diet is just 10% of the battle. You can be vegetarian or vegan but eat french fries everyday and still get a heart attack. What you really need to do is exercise. But, although it should be, health isn't exactly my focus in terms of food but taste.

If you don't like how it taste then don't eat it. But at least try it once, otherwise how will you know if you like it or not. I actually got slapped in the face for being adventurous with food. We have a delicacy here in the Philippines which is called balut. It's a duck embryo, around 16-21 days old, boiled and eaten with salt and/or vinegar. I told my roommate that I have and liked eating balut. She slapped me in the face, jokingly of course. I'm not saying I didn't deserve it cause I told her the story partly to freak her out a little. We were having a debate about prop. 2. Mind you my roommate eats more meat than I do. That's a whole other story that I really don't have time to talk about and isn't that interesting anyway.

My point is try it and if you don't like it don't eat it.

QOTD: What's the most exotic thing you've eaten?

Hear from you guys soon

RUBEN IV

P.S. Sorry for the late post =P

3 comments:

  1. QOTD: Likely squid in tomato soup. For me that was exotic, but many of you would probably consider it more excotic that I've had rössy on several occasions and it used to be my favorite food. Rössy is essentially bloodpudding. It's dried up cow/pig/reindeer blood mixed with some spices and cooking powder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a vegetarian housemate who ate nothing than the components of "English" breakfast (or veggie substitutes) for every meal of the day. So much for being healthy ;) In the end even most meat-eaters don't exactly have a "healthy diet".
    I really don't see the problem with eating embryonic eggs. People eat meat, people eat baby animals (nomnomnomlambnomnomveal), so what's wrong with duck embryos?

    QOTD: It really depends on how you define "exotic". Growing up with foodie travel enthusiasts meant that I came to consider quite a lot of foods as "normal"... and I think most foods people would consider exotic are animals (or animal parts) not necessarily eaten elsewhere (well, durian excepted maybe). I guess what comes closest is that I really, really used to love the gooey garlicky goodness that are snails as a kid :P (reindeer is quite good too, but I think it's only Americans and other people that grew up with Rudolph who think that's weird). I've eaten some, uhm, "interesting" body parts while living in Slovakia, but fortunately my canteen processed them beyond recognition (got a stack of their receipts so our kids could draw on the backside...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat much that most people would consider exotic. I've had deer, moose and bison meat at one point. I still think of a lot of different kinds of fruit as exotic just cause the don't grow here and they are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete