Tuesday 8 March 2011

Almost Kidnapped

My first ever recollection of traveling is when I was three years old. The highlight of the whole trip was the plane ride to and from the destination. I hardly remember anything else but the take off and the landing of the plane. Almost every summer vacation since then, we would go to the State to visit relatives and tour around different states.

I was seven when I first visited NYC. I kind of have a personal connection with that city, which is why it is one of my favorite places to go. One afternoon after playing all day in FAO schwarz my parents thought we should pass by St. Patrick's Cathedral, because churches seems to always make kids sit still. I, being such a curios kid, decided to walk around the church. While I was counting the benches from the altar and back to where my family was, I got called by this lady. I had no idea what she wanted from me but went where she was anyway. She was three benches behind where my parents was, I know this because I had restarted my counting when I reached the bench where mom was. When I got to her she grabbed me and before she could even cover my mouth and run away with me I shouted out "MAMA!!!" then she dropped me and walked away. My mom got furious and wanted to report the lady, but she was long gone before we can even call her out. After a few minutes later she unexpectedly returned with a gift, it was a cross pendant, and told my mom that she had such nice kids. Stunned from what happened, my mom couldn't say a word. I still have that pendant. I've never worn them but it is a constant reminder of how important my parents are to me.

Traveling is such a big part of who I am now. Each time I ride a plane, may it be for work, school, or vacation, I come back a different person. A better version of who I was before that, at least I like to think that I am. At the same time it always reminds me of how my country will always be my home. Which is why I placed it upon myself to get to know my home land more. I am ashamed to say that I have been to more cities in other countries than islands here in the Philippines, and we have 7107 islands. I have 7093 islands to still discover.

Hear from you guys soon,

RUBEN IV

2 comments:

  1. That's really scary, I'm glad you didn't get kidnapped. Also that's a lot of islands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear dear dear, lucky you didn't get kidnapped! :/ I'm hoping that the woman was caught by the police later on if she tried to pull off stuff like that again.

    ReplyDelete