Tuesday 26 April 2011

Fat Tuesday I

Not Mardi Gras but recipes of mine that I would like to share to everyone. Mostly because I have nothing better to share LOL unless you want to hear about work which I highly doubt.

Cheesecake
Yeild: 9" Cake
You will need a spring form tin

Buscuit Dough
Biscuit Dough

125 g    Pastry Flour Sifted
60 g      Sugar
1           Egg Yolk
1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
125 g    Butter

Pre-baking the Crust
First combine the flour and the sugar in a bowl. Make a well and add the rest of the ingredients in the center. Rub everything together with your fingers until it all comes together. Wrap the dough tightly with the plastic wrap and let it rest in the chiller for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease the bottom of your spring form tin. Place the rested dough on the base of your tin and roll it out. to about 4mm thick. trim the rest off and dock the dough with a fork. Rest for another 10 minutes in the chiller before baking the crust. bake fore 15 minutes or until pale gold.

Remove the crust from the oven and allow to cool in a rack. Then raise the temperature of your oven to 230C.

Cheese Filling
Cheese Cake Filling
1kg        Cream Cheese
400g      Sugar
3 tbsp.   Flour
1/4 tsp   Vanilla Extract
5            Eggs
2            Egg Yolks
6 tbsp.   Heavy Cream
Baking 1

In a bowl cream the cream cheese, sugar, and flour until light and airy. Add all of the vanilla and one egg mixing until well incorporated before adding each egg. Add the yolks and cream the same way. This will ensure you a smooth filling.

Attach the sides of the spring form tin and place it on a container larger than your pan with about the same hight. I used a 14" cake pan. Pour in the filling on your pre-baked crust then put it in the oven.

Before closing the oven door, pour in some water until half way up the sides of your tin. This is called a bain marie. This will ensure an even distribution of heat throughout your cake tin and will make sure that your custard will not split.
Finished
    
Shock your custard for 15 minutes in that temperature then lower the heat to 100C and bake for another hour and a half or until it looks like a set gelatin.  let is cool for at least 2 hours before removing from the tin. I let is cool and set overnight in the chiller before I take them out of the tin.

If you don't have a spring form tin you can do this with a regular pan, but I suggest you freeze it before taking it out because this is a very smooth cheescake so it can be easily bruised.

QOTD: What is your favorite cheescake topping?


3 comments:

  1. That sounds really delicious. The base looks different and good. My favorite cheesecake topping is chocolate (which is my favorite topping for pretty much anything). I also like raspberries and blackberries. Good job with the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had cheese cake. Ever. But I've been wanting to taste some for years. I just don't really bake, especially when I don't even know if I'm doing something I'm actually going to wanna eat completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love cheesecake, but I've never actually made it myself. Mostly because I tend to fail at baking... as for toppings, anything berry and not too sweet will do.

    ReplyDelete