Wednesday 13 April 2011

Vacation Bible School

First, sorry i'm late. I'm always taking some of Wednesday from Enika.

Anyway, it's summer vacation here and I volunteered to teach students in our church every morning for a week. I actually already teach 6th grade Sunday school so I am already familiar with some of the students.

I am also the team captain for one of the 4 teams. This posts extra pressure on me considering that I am responsible for the 1/4 of the attendees, which is about 50-60 kids from 1st-6th grade, during the games portion of the activities. Part of my duty is to choose players for each game. Our protocol is to make sure that all the kids participate in the games at least once everyday, but only those who are willing so we don't force them to play if they don't want to.  One morning a parent approached me and said that not all of the kids are given a turn to play. So I said that those kids didn't want to play and I also apologized and asked if she may point out the student , just in case I wasn't able to notice, so I can give him/her a chance. She decided not to be proactive and said "NO!! That's your job!! You're not doing your job!!"

Question for Tuesday/Early Wednesday: What would you have done if you were in my position?

Hear from you guys soon,

RUBEN IV

3 comments:

  1. I would have blinked at her all confused for a couple of seconds before stating that we do not force kids to play. And I would have explained that we're only human and that if she knows a student who wants to participate but hasn't had the chance to, she should point them out instead of acting like an ass...

    Honestly this kind of reminds me of the stories on notalwaysright.com xDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. she thinks is being left out. I would thank her in advance for helping me out because after all we are all in it for the kids. Then I foresee one of two things happening either the parent gets all huffy and rude (because they realize they are wrong and nobody likes being wrong) in which case I would continue to smile and be polite and get out of there as soon is as reasonable. Or the parent may actually decide to be helpful (don't hold your breath) and point out a kid who they think is being left out, if they do, even if I know the kid doesn't want to participate I would go over and talk to them so the parent feels like they really were helpful. That is what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* parents are by far the worst part of working with kids. Maybe you asking her to point out the kid gave her the impression that you didn't really keep track of who wanted to play etc? I don't know... I'd probably just explain the situation to her (again), and maybe next time point out to the kids that they can approach me if they felt left out or changed their minds about playing.

    ReplyDelete