Thursday 14 April 2011

Procrastinationnnn

I have somewhat of a routine when it comes to my studies. When a semester first starts, I usually vow to be a good student, go to all of my classes, keep up with my reading and study every day. By around the sixth week, I barely have the motivation to go to uni once a week and will read something only if necessary for an assignment.

I begin to regret this by the time we actually need to start handing things (like now) and after mid-semester break I usually turn back into a good student. At the moment, though, with two assignments due next Thursday, all I want to do is sit on Youtube or play Minecraft all day.

The only way I can get anything done during these study slumps is to create a very strict structure for myself. I'll give myself one hour of working-on-assignment time, then one hour of minecraft-or-youtube-or whatever time. That usually breaks things up enough for me to get things done. Unfortunately, I rarely use it because I somehow still think "bah, I'm a uni student, I'm so mature, I don't need to give myself structure!"

UGH. I infuriate myself sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, dear, this could be me posting instead of you. XD I do the same. I start every semester being all "YEAH, I'll be a good student! No More Procrastination!"

    Then I skip classes and procrastinate all the way up to the exams. I regret my laziness, study for hours, do the exams... and promptly start to procrastinate again.

    But we're so mature. We don't need a structure. ;)

    All right. Back to virology with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap your my secret twin aren't you!? I also have to create structure for myself or I end up just watching old episodes of criminal minds all day. good luck with your assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, I have the same problem. I procrastinate to the point that I think it could constitute as an illness by now - I don't think I'm exaggerating either. I procrastinate pretty much everything. Then, occasionally, I get little spurts of inspiration to do things but it fades away before I can get anything done.

    ...I should start on my thesis. Oh no wait, I can't. All my stuff is in my lap top, which broke. Great.

    ....I've also procrastinated taking my lap top to maintenance. Because interacting with people I don't know irl makes me anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I'm incredibly bad at creating structure for myself. It works for a few days, and then I'll be back to daily West Wing marathons (which are awesome, but not an effective way to write papers).

    ReplyDelete