Thursday 28 April 2011

Respect should be earned, not demanded.

As we all know, the Royal Wedding is going to be taking place tonight. As I live in Australia, where the Queen is still OUR Queen and therefore William is likely to be our King one day, the wedding is a Big Freaking Deal. Every major TV station is going to have coverage of the wedding on at least one digital channel.

Unfortunately, it seems that some commentators missed out. The Chaser, a group of comedians known for heavy (and yes, sometimes tasteless) satire were going to host an alternative coverage of the royal wedding, but that has been stopped by the BBC / representatives of the royal family, because they do not want any footage of the wedding to be used for the purposes of satire. The ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Australia's public broadcaster and the only non-commercial coverage of the wedding) was forced to cancel The Chaser's broadcast.

Oh, COME ON. Free speech, anyone?

Okay, sure, we should be respectful of people, but I am SURE that The Chaser would have kept things tasteful, and they have said as much. When you turn a wedding into such a huge media spectacle, how can you expect people to not want to satirise it? It really is bewildering, especially when you look at other Australian channels' coverage of it; one of the other channels is using Dame Edna, Australia's favourite drag queen, to commentate the event.

REALLY.

I guess I'll just have to watch the live stream on YouTube and rely on twitter for my satirical humour :(

Is anybody else going to watch the wedding?

2 comments:

  1. yay Dame Edna! xD

    And I'm not going to bother watching the wedding. I fail to see why I should care about it. I did overhear some bits of it, quite beautiful choir singing, but it didn't capture me enough to keep me from exiting the room. I might later check for a picture where I can see the wedding dress. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaser's... respectful? Wouldn't quite be Chaser's if it was respectful, would it? ;) (this is still one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXHleozgQ18)

    I didn't watch the wedding, but I have some English student guilt about it and will probably watch the "best of" later.
    It was on four or five major stations over here as well, apparently Germans miss having monarchs *sigh*

    ReplyDelete