Wednesday 25 May 2011

Happy Geek Pride!

I have to admit that to me it's primarily Towel Day, but I didn't want to alienate the observers of the Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May and Star Wars Day ;). I've never quite managed to reach geek level when it comes to Star Wars (haven't even seen most of Episodes II & III yet). Discworld I'm really quite fond of, but I'm also terribly allergic to lilac, so a day walking around with one pinned under my nose would likely end in the hospital. I'm fond of Discworld, but not that fond.

Admittedly, I left my towel at home today as well, but mostly 'cause I only went out to buy groceries and it would've been in the way. I took a betoweled picture for my facebook profile, does that count?



I like the idea of the towel as a sort of anchor for the perpetual traveler. For Ford it's almost like a portable home – not in the sense of the structure, but in what “home” ought to provide: Nourishment, shelter, comfort. As long as you know where your towel is, you're safe. I think for a lot of mobile people their computers or phones have taken that place (to some extent), but in older travel literature you find these sort of objects quite often. Usually they're related to people left behind, but Adams seems to have created such an object even for those who are more or less rootless. It's still a household object, but one that can be found anywhere, isn't connected to anyone specific, and is more or less replaceable.

I was going to watch the H2G2 movie today, but apparently I lent it to someone and never got it back (hate when that happens), so I think I'll just snuggle up in bed with a nice glass of white wine and a certain book by a certain tall guy who sadly passed away way too early ten years and two weeks ago.


Did you celebrate Geek Pride Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment