Thursday 26 May 2011

I got the hang of Thursdays

Greetings hoopy froods!

(Just FYI, my title was almost "I got the Hank of Thursdays". Is it still a Freudian slip when you type it?)

Towel Day / Geek Pride day was yesterday. It celebrates some of my favourite things: Hitchhiker's Guide, and being a nerd. To commemorate the auspicious occasion, I went over to thinkgeek and salivated over some of the nerdy/geeky items that they have in stock, especially some of their Firefly and Star Wars paraphernalia. Unfortunately, it usually costs around $30 AUD to ship anything, and my budget isn't too accommodating at the moment.

Instead of buying nerdy things, I decided to do such nerdy things as studying for my finals which are coming up in a couple of weeks, and watching Glee. While I know that the show can be obnoxious, I think one of its strong points is that it takes a group of outcasts and gives them a voice. Unfortunately, a lot of people think that being a nerd isn't 'cool'. Hopefully this will continue to change; I think that things like YouTube and video games are becoming more and more mainstream, so general nerdiness is on the rise, folks!

Today, I took the day off uni to work on a research assignment; I have to talk about whether television is 'dying'. I think my angle will be that though the content itself isn't dying, the medium through which we consume the content is changing/fragmenting/whatever.

Don't Forget To Be Nerdy!

1 comment:

  1. I have the same unfortunate problem with thinkgeek :( international shipping charges & customs fees are evil.
    Oh Glee... I don't even know. I watch it, but I really, really hate most of the music (The Physical bit was fun, but mostly 'cause I was a major ONJ fangirl in my early teens (uhm, #embarrassingadmissions?)), and the rest is sort of obnoxious? And yet I still watch...

    ReplyDelete