Friday 13 May 2011

Yellow is the colour of Thursday

Hi, sorry for a) the lateness of this post and b) the lack of a post last week. All my uni stuff just caught up with me, and to add to that, my spacebar key is malfunctioning so I have to press extra hard on it for it to work. Anyway, enough excuses. I really like the 'theme' we seem to have taken on this week.

Growing up, Sunday mornings in my house were probably the best. We would wake up to the smell of sizzling bacon and eggs, a particularly delicious alarm clock, and the crackle of one of my father's old records. Dad is an avid record collector, and he particularly likes 60's folk, blues and classic rock. One of my favourite songs to wake up to was Donovan's 'Colours'.

As the morning progressed, the songs would become louder, and would often transition from Donovan and Bob Dylan to The Beatles to Black Sabbath and Queen, and finally to Nirvana or Silverchair when my eldest brother finally wrested control of the music from my father. This was the 90s, and I was around 10 or 11, so to me, the height of musical sophistication was The Backstreet Boys. I didn't particularly like the music my dad played but I didn't hate it either.

Now that I am one decade older, I think that early exposure to that sort of music has really shaped my musical taste. Like my father, I now love folk and classic rock, especially Bob Dylan and The Beatles. In another 20 years, I will likely play that same music for my own children.

Though some might criticize me for being overly nostalgic, I think the true test of music is when you can still look back and say "Wow, that music is valuable" over half a century later. I can hardly imagine "Wannabe" becoming a classic favourite any time soon.

I will leave you with a song I feel holds resonance even today, decades after it was written. I can only find it as part of the Watchmen intro, but really listen to the lyrics and you might be surprised by how much the song still means today.

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of sleeping over at my grandparents when my grandpa would get up early turn on the radio and make breakfast. Also I agree with you about listening to music from 40 years ago that hopefully I'll listen to 40 years from now!

    ReplyDelete